Penfolds Bin 138 Grenache Shiraz is a notable wine from Penfolds, one of Australia’s most renowned wineries. This wine is part of the Penfolds Bin series, which showcases the winery’s dedication to crafting high-quality wines that reflect both the grape varieties and the regions from which they are sourced. Here’s some information about Penfolds Bin 138 Grenache Shiraz:
- Blend: Bin 138 is a blend of three grape varieties: Grenache, Shiraz (Syrah), and Mourvèdre (often referred to as Mataro). These varieties are commonly found in Southern Rhône-style blends and are known for their ability to produce rich and complex wines.
- Origin: The grapes for Bin 138 Grenache Shiraz are sourced from various vineyards across South Australia, including the Barossa Valley, McLaren Vale, and Eden Valley regions. Each region contributes its unique characteristics to the wine.
- Flavor Profile: Bin 138 typically offers a flavor profile that combines the bright red fruit and floral notes of Grenache, the bold and spicy character of Shiraz, and the structure and depth of Mourvèdre. Flavors of red berries, plums, black pepper, and hints of herbs and earthiness are evident.
- Winemaking: Penfolds is known for its meticulous winemaking techniques. Bin 138 grapes are fermented in a combination of stainless steel tanks and oak barrels. Aging also takes place in a mix of oak to add complexity and structure.
- Food Pairing: This wine pairs well with a range of dishes, including grilled meats, roasted lamb, hearty stews, and dishes with rich, savory flavors. Its versatility makes it suitable for various cuisines.
- Aging Potential: Bin 138 Grenache Shiraz is known for its aging potential. While it can be enjoyed in its youth for its vibrant fruitiness, it also has the capacity to age gracefully, developing more complexity and depth over time.
Penfolds Bin 138 Grenache Shiraz is highly regarded among wine enthusiasts and critics for its quality and craftsmanship.