The Burn Cottage Sauvage Pinot Noir is a distinctive and sought-after wine produced by Burn Cottage Vineyard, located in Central Otago, New Zealand.
- Philosophy: “Sauvage” is French for “wild,” and the name of this wine reflects its unique and untamed nature. Burn Cottage’s Sauvage Pinot Noir is a representation of their commitment to minimal intervention winemaking, allowing the vineyard and grapes to express themselves in their most natural form.
- Origin: This Pinot Noir is sourced from the Burn Cottage Vineyard in the Pisa subregion of Central Otago. The vineyard’s cool climate and terroir contribute to the wine’s distinctive character.
- Flavor Profile: Burn Cottage Sauvage Pinot Noir tends to have a more expressive and vibrant flavor profile compared to some traditional Pinot Noirs. You can expect red fruit flavors like cherries and raspberries, floral aromatics, and a slightly wild, earthy quality. The wine’s texture can be supple yet with a hint of tannic structure.
- Minimal Intervention: The winemaking process for the Sauvage Pinot Noir involves minimal manipulation, using native yeasts for fermentation and avoiding excessive use of additives. This approach is intended to showcase the true essence of the vineyard and the grapes.
- Aging Potential: While enjoyable in its youth, Burn Cottage Sauvage Pinot Noir often has the potential to age gracefully, allowing its complex flavors to develop further over time.
- Food Pairing: This wine’s dynamic and untamed nature makes it a great match for dishes with bold and rustic flavors. It can complement a range of dishes including roasted game meats, hearty stews, and mushroom-based dishes.